- A tendency to experience recurrent, unprovoked seizures.
- A seizure occurs when neurons send abnormal electrochemical signals to the brain; such signals result in an alteration in sensation, behaviour, and consciousness.
- One of the most common neurological conditions, affecting one in 100 people.
- Can affect anyone regardless of age, ethnicity, or socioeconomic status.
- Commonly found in children under 2 years old and in the elderly (over the age of 65); around 70 million people globally are affected with epilepsy.
- Its causes include genetic influences, medical disorders, head trauma, meningitis, lead and alcohol poisoning, and chemical and hormonal imbalance; in many cases the cause of epilepsy is unknown.
- Most people become seizure-free by using anti-epileptic medication.
- A spectrum disorder.
- Encompasses > 25 syndromes, many types of seizures, seizures vary in severity, affects wide range of people, impacts on health/quality of life differ widely
Test your epilepsy knowledge with the crossword below. Click on a column or row to show the clue in the box below the crossword. To delete letters click a clue then press backspace.
angst, empirical, ok, complex, cure, EEG, primal, epilepsy, level, toxicity, to, simple ECT, air, diet, seizures, under, ictal, compliance, minus, big, die, triggers, by, ruin, caffeine, help, aura, pack, tonic, intra, generalized, but